The Home Media Reviews Team Rates Allstate 8.3 Out of 10.0 Based on Its Reputation, Availability, Cost, Coverage and Customer Experience
Home Media 11/19/2022 10:34 pm
Allstate is a good option for drivers who want service from a local insurance agent.
As one of the most recognizable insurance companies on the market, Allstate offers coverage for a wide range of drivers and homeowners. But what do Allstate insurance reviews have to say about the company?
In this article, we at the Home Media reviews team will analyze the company by looking at Allstate’s customer reviews, coverage options, average costs and more. You have many choices for coverage, so the more you can compare providers, the better chance you have of finding the best car insurance and best homeowners insurance for you.
Why Trust Our TeamThe Guides Auto Team is committed to providing reliable information to help you make the best possible decision regarding insurance for your vehicle. Our researchers, writers and editors are dedicated to investigating providers and analyzing customer feedback and insights so you can choose with confidence.
Allstate Auto Insurance Reviews
We rate Allstate 8.3 out of 10.0 overall for its variety of coverage options and strong industry reputation. The company’s overall rating was aggregated from its performance across five main areas, including reputation, availability, coverage, cost and customer experience.
*Ratings are determined by our editorial review team. Learn more about our scoring methodology below.
Is Allstate a Good Insurance Company?
Allstate is a good insurance company if you’re looking for flexible coverage options and discount programs. The company currently offers 12 different types of car insurance coverage in addition to discount opportunities and usage-based programs.
Here are some characteristics of Allstate that set the company apart:
- Comprehensive coverage: Allstate offers standard car insurance coverage in addition to several add-ons including rideshare insurance, sound system insurance, roadside coverage, rental reimbursement and more.
- Strong financial stability: The insurer holds an A+ rating from AM Best, the largest credit rating agency in the world that specializes in insurance.
- Usage-based discount program: Drivers can save money on their insurance premiums through Allstate’s two usage-based programs: Drivewise® and Milewise®.
Pros and Cons of Allstate Car Insurance
Below are detailed pros and cons for Allstate auto insurance coverage:
ProsA+ AM Best financial ratingWide variety of insurance coverage optionsPersonalized experience with local agentsOffers a Claim Satisfaction Guarantee
ConsMixed Allstate insurance reviewsHigher than average prices
Allstate Company Insurance Reviews
Allstate was founded in 1931 as a part of Sears, and it began by selling car insurance through the Sears catalog. Since its founding, Allstate has grown to become one of the largest car insurance companies in the country. According to the National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC), Allstate was the fourth-largest car insurance provider in 2021 and wrote over $27.2 billion in premiums that year.
Allstate car insurance is available nationwide, but discounts and extras can vary by state.
Allstate Car Insurance Customer Reviews
Allstate has average customer reviews from consumer studies and customers. Positive Allstate Insurance reviews mention helpful customer service agents, while negative reviews discuss issues with the claims process and canceling a policy.
Our team reached out to Allstate for a comment on its reviews but did not receive a response.
Allstate Insurance Customer Satisfaction
Our August 2022 nationwide car insurance satisfaction survey polled 6,923 people. Of those who participated, nearly 9% reported that they had an Allstate car insurance policy.
Here’s how Allstate customer satisfaction compares with the overall average from our survey:
|Allstate Average||Insurance Company Industry Average|
|Overall Customer Satisfaction||4.1||4.2|
|Discounts and Savings Programs||3.7||3.7|
|Selection of Coverage and Add-Ons||3.9||3.9|
|Car Insurance Shopping Process||3.9||3.9|
Allstate Customer Service Claims
In our survey, we found that 39% of Allstate policyholders have filed a claim, while 60% have not. Our survey also discovered that survey participants who filed a claim were happy with Allstate’s customer service, rating it 4.1 stars out of 5.0. Respondents also rated the company 4.1 stars for satisfaction with the claim or outcome.
Allstate Insurance Reviews: J.D. Power
Allstate insurance reviews collected in the J.D. Power 2022 U.S. Insurance Shopping Study℠ rank the company slightly below average for its shopping experience compared to other large companies. The insurer scored 854 out of 1,000 points, which means most Allstate customers are satisfied with their experiences.
Allstate Insurance Reviews: BBB
Allstate holds an A+ rating from the BBB and a nearly 1.1-star rating out of 5.0 from customer reviews. While this number may seem low, just over 500 reviewers have rated Allstate on the BBB, a small percentage of its overall customer base.
Allstate Car Insurance Coverage
As a nationwide insurance provider, Allstate offers plenty of coverage options. Drivers can get all the standard types of car insurance, plus a variety of add-ons and benefits.
Standard car insurance policy options from Allstate include:
- Bodily injury/property damage liability car insurance
- Collision insurance
- Comprehensive insurance
- Medical payments (MedPay)
- Personal injury protection (PIP)
Underinsured/uninsured motorist insurance
Allstate Car Insurance Options
Beyond these standard coverages, Allstate offers the following coverage options:
- Rideshare insurance: This coverage protects you when you drive for a company like Uber or Lyft.
- Sound system insurance: This covers stolen or damaged audio and video equipment.
- Roadside coverage: The roadside assistance add-on can cover jump-starts, spare tire installation, fuel delivery and more.
- Rental reimbursement: Get reimbursed for a rental car when your vehicle is in the shop.
- Classic car insurance: Get coverage that pays agreed value and includes spare parts for an antique vehicle.
- Mexico and Canada car insurance: These options can cover your vehicle if you drive across either border.
Allstate Insurance Benefits
In our Allstate insurance review, we found a number of benefits and extras that drivers may appreciate. For example, Allstate automatically includes the Claim Satisfaction Guarantee and the Allstate Rewards® program on all policies.
Under the Claim Satisfaction Guarantee, Allstate will give you a credit worth up to your six-month premium if you’re unsatisfied with how a claim is handled. This guarantee applies to drivers in most states.
With the Allstate Rewards program, you can earn points for practicing safe driving habits and redeem them for shopping rewards and gift cards.
Allstate Insurance Add-Ons
Allstate offers several types of add-on coverage:
- Allstate Extended Vehicle Care: This is similar to an extended car warranty program. There are three plan options, each of which covers a range of mechanical breakdowns. Allstate also offers vehicle protection products like gap insurance and tire and wheel protection in some states.
- Deductible Rewards®: You can get $100 off your deductible for each accident-free year (up to $500 off).
- New Car Replacement: This option covers the full value of your recently purchased vehicle in the case of a total loss.
- Accident Forgiveness: With this option, your rates won’t go up because of an accident.
- Safe Driving Bonus®: You can get a cash bonus for each insurance policy period without an accident.
Allstate Usage-Based Insurance
Allstate offers two usage-based programs: Drivewise® and Milewise®.
Drivewise tracks driving habits through a mobile app and rewards drivers with discounts based on speed, braking and driving hours. The program also tracks your phone activity while you’re driving, but it doesn’t factor this into your discount.
Drivewise is available in all states. The information collected by the app is used to determine the discount amount you’re eligible for. If you practice unsafe habits, you won’t get a discount, but your rates won’t go up, either. In Allstate insurance reviews, a number of customers mention that this is a nice perk, as some competitors’ habit-tracking programs can raise drivers’ rates.
Allstate’s other usage-based option, Milewise, is a pay-per-mile program available in 18 states. With the program, you pay a daily base rate and an additional rate per mile driven. Here are some average Milewise discounts drivers can expect, according to Allstate’s website:
|Annual Mileage||Allstate Milewise Discount|
Allstate Car Insurance Cost
Allstate’s prices tend to be higher than average. According to our rate estimates, the average cost of full coverage Allstate insurance is about $2,088 per year or $174 per month for a 35-year-old married driver with good credit and a clean driving history. The national average across all companies is $1,730 for this demographic.
Your car insurance prices depend on various factors, and the Allstate insurance quotes you receive may not reflect the average estimates above. If you have poor credit, you’ll pay more for car insurance unless you live in California, Hawaii, Massachusetts or Michigan. And if you have accidents or a DUI on your driving record, your insurance rates will be more expensive.
Allstate Auto Insurance Quotes by Age
Age is one of the factors that will heavily impact your car insurance costs. If you are a new or young driver, you can expect to pay more coverage. Our research shows Allstate tends to charge significantly more for a full coverage insurance premium than the national average.
The table below shows average monthly and annual cost estimates for an Allstate policy broken down by age.
|Age||Allstate Average Monthly Cost Estimate||Allstate Average Annual Cost Estimate||National Average Cost Estimate|
Allstate Car Insurance Quote by Driver Profile
Car insurance costs can vary greatly depending on your driving record, age, location and more. Here are a few Allstate cost estimates that apply to different types of drivers, including those with poor credit and driving records.
|Allstate Average Monthly Cost Estimate||Allstate Average Annual Cost Estimate||National Average Annual Cost Estimate|
|35-year-old driver with good credit and driving history||$174||$2,088||$1,730|
|25-year-old driver with good credit and driving history||$236||$2,832||$2,019|
|35-year-old driver with poor credit||$314||$3,765||$3,123|
|35-year-old driver with a recent accident||$348||$4,173||$3,212|
|35-year-old driver with a DUI||$299||$3,582||$3,277|
Is Allstate Insurance Expensive?
Allstate is one of the more expensive national providers that offers car insurance coverage. The company car insurance estimates are typically 21% higher than the national average of $1,730.
Here’s how Allstate compares to other national providers.
Compare Allstate Rate Quotes
The table below displays how Allstate compares to other regional and national providers for average monthly and annual car insurance costs. The rate estimates are for a 35-year-old married driver with a good credit score and clean driving history.
|Car Insurance Company||Average Monthly Cost Estimate||Average Annual Cost Estimate|
Why Is Allstate So Expensive?
Allstate’s car insurance rates tend to be higher on average than other national providers. Car insurance estimates from Allstate and other providers are influenced by several factors, some of which are in your control. Understanding the factors that influence your car insurance rate can help ensure you get the best deal possible.
These are the factors that impact car insurance rates significantly:
- Age: Teens typically pay the most for insurance, followed by drivers in their early 20s.
- ZIP code: Car insurance tends to cost more in densely populated areas.
- Driving history: At-fault accidents, tickets and convictions raise insurance rates.
- Credit score: In most states, a poor credit score can increase insurance rates.
- Vehicle type: Sedans and crossovers tend to be cheaper to insure than trucks and sports cars.
Allstate Car Insurance Discounts
Allstate has the following discounts:
- Anti-lock brake discount
- Anti-theft discount
- Multi-policy discount
- Early Signing Discount®
- Responsible payer discount
- Good student discount
- Teen driver education discount
- Distant student discount
- New car discount
- Auto-pay discount
- Paperless discount
- Pay in full discount
- Safe Driving Bonus® discount
The Drivewise® program is operated through Allstate’s mobile app. You can also view and pay your bill, start a claim, upload photos of your vehicle, view your insurance ID card and more through the app. The Allstate app has a 3.9-star rating on Google Play and a 4.8-star rating on the App Store.
Allstate Homeowners Insurance
Similar to car insurance, Allstate home insurance tends to be more expensive than most competitors’ coverage. Our research also found that home insurance premiums can be higher than the national average of $1,249 per year, according to the NAIC.
Allstate Home Insurance Quote
We reached out to Allstate for several home insurance estimates to give you an idea of how much you can expect to pay for coverage with the company. These estimates are based on single-family homes.
|Location||Home Size||Estimated Monthly Cost||Estimated Total Cost per Year|
|Mckinleyville, Calif.||1,344 square feet||$73||$872|
|Charlotte, N.C.||1,595 square feet||$108||$1,298|
|Marlton, N.J.||1,706 square feet||$123||$1,477|
|Mechanicsburg, Pa.||2,144 square feet||$129||$1,548|
|Schertz, Texas||2,346 square feet||$186||$2,232|
|Richmond, Va.||2,112 square feet||$116||$1,399|
Allstate home insurance discounts
Allstate offers several home insurance discounts to help reduce your premium. These include:
- Welcome and loyalty discount: Save up to 10% on your home insurance policy when you switch to Allstate.
- Home buyer discount: Earn a discount if you recently purchased a newly constructed home.
- Easy Pay Plan® discount: Get up to 5% off your home insurance premium when you set up automatic payments.
- Protective device discount: Receive a discount when you install or have theft or fire protection devices in your home.
- Early signing discount: Save up to 10% on your home insurance policy when you sign up for a new policy at least seven days before your current one expires.
What Factors Affect Allstate Home Insurance Costs?
Home insurance costs are based on several factors, including your location, property details and coverage needs. Here are a few things to keep in mind as you’re shopping for home insurance coverage:
- Location: The city and state where you purchase your home could impact how much you pay for home insurance. States near coastal areas or those prone to natural disasters often have the highest rates, while inland states tend to have lower rates.
- Claims history: Homeowners who have filed claims in the last three to five years can expect to see their rates rise. To get a more accurate estimate when shopping for home insurance, reach out to an Allstate representative to discuss your reasons for previous claims.
- Property details: Having a pool or trampoline can cause your home insurance rates to spike. Many home insurance companies view special features as added liability risks.
- Coverage needs: Higher home values lead to higher insurance premiums. This is because you’ll need a higher limit for dwelling insurance to cover the cost of repairs or a rebuild following an incident or disaster.
- Deductible: You’ll have a higher home insurance premium if you choose a lower deductible. To ensure lower rates, you can raise your deductible if your budget allows.
Allstate Homeowners Insurance Coverage
Homeowners insurance helps protect you financially after a covered event damages or destroys your home. Allstate offers four standard home insurance options:
|Allstate Home Insurance Coverage||Description|
|Dwelling coverage||This covers the physical structure of your home, including the walls and roof.|
|Personal property coverage||This covers the personal belongings inside your home, even if they’re damaged or stolen outside of your house.|
|Liability protection||This insurance helps protect you if someone sues or files a claim against you after being injured on your property or you damage someone else’s property.|
|Guest medical protection||This covers the cost of medical expenses for someone who’s injured on your property.|
Additional Allstate Endorsements
Allstate offers additional home insurance coverage and policies. These include:
|Allstate Add-On Coverage Options||Description|
|Personal umbrella policy||This add-on option protects you against large liability claims when you reach the liability limit on your property policy.|
|Identity theft restoration||This endorsement covers the cost of legal fees, lost wages and other related costs if your identity is stolen.|
|Water backup||This covers water damage caused by your drain backing up or sump pump breaking.|
|Scheduled personal property||This policy endorsement covers valuable appraised items like engagement rings or antiques.|
|Business property||This insurance increases your limits for business-related items stored in your home, such as inventory.|
|Sports equipment||This endorsement increases coverage for expensive gear like golf clubs and ski equipment.|
|Green improvement reimbursement||This covers the cost of replacing damaged or destroyed covered items with more energy-efficient items.|
|Yard and garden||This policy endorsement increases the limits to cover items like trees, landscaping and riding lawn mowers.|
|Electronic data recovery||This covers the cost of recovering lost personal computer data, including photos and videos.|
|Musical instruments||This increases coverage for instruments like pianos and guitars.|
|Manufactured/mobile home insurance||This provides coverage for your manufactured or mobile home.|
|HostAdvantage®||This covers your belongings when you’re sharing your home with others.|
|Flood insurance||An Allstate agent can help you purchase flood insurance for your home through the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) to help you pay for and recover faster from damage due to flooding.|
Is Allstate Life Insurance Good?
Whether you are just starting your family or getting ready to retire, having a life insurance policy can provide your family with peace of mind if you are no longer there to provide for them. Allstate offers four types of life insurance policies — term life insurance, universal life insurance, whole life insurance and variable life insurance.
Here’s a closer look at the different life insurance policies offered by Allstate:
- Term life insurance: This policy offers affordable protection that lasts for a defined period of time. It’s often the lowest-priced coverage option but is temporary. It’s designed to help replace your income if you pass away during your earning years. Your family can use the death benefit to pay for expenses like housing and childcare.
- Universal life insurance: This offers flexible protection that can last your entire life and includes various cash accumulation options. If you want lifelong coverage with flexibility, it may be a policy worth considering.
- Whole life insurance: This life insurance policy offers predictable lifelong protection with the most guarantees, including a fixed premium and death benefit. The cost of this policy is fixed and based on your age when you buy it. The money paid to your family when you die is typically income tax-free.
- Variable life insurance: This includes different investment options for your cash value, as well as flexibility in your death benefit.
Allstate Insurance Reviews: Conclusion
Our review team gives Allstate a score of 8.3 out of 10.0 based on its coverage options and strong industry reputation. The scoring system is the same one that is used to assess all car insurance providers.
Allstate Insurance Alternatives
Finding the best car insurance company is all about comparing options when you shop. Ideally, you should compare at least three companies.
Geico: Affordable for Most Drivers
We rate Geico 9.1 out of 10.0 and recognize it as one of the best choices for the average driver. Geico is known for providing affordable coverage for many situations, and policyholders can take advantage of numerous discounts. Geico offers a variety of non-standard coverage options, including mechanical breakdown insurance, which is similar to an extended warranty.
Keep reading: Geico insurance review
USAA: Low Rates for Military Members
If you qualify for USAA coverage, you can get the best of both worlds: cheap car insurance and good service. USAA is available to military members and veterans, along with their immediate family members. USAA insurance reviews from customers consistently give the company high marks. The insurer has also scored well in J.D. Power customer satisfaction studies. It often tends to be the cheapest car insurance provider for those who qualify.
Keep reading: USAA insurance review
Allstate Car Insurance Reviews: FAQ
Below are frequently asked questions about Allstate Insurance reviews.
Because consumers rely on us to provide objective and accurate information, we created a comprehensive rating system to formulate our rankings of the best car insurance companies. We collected data on dozens of auto insurance providers to grade the companies on a wide range of ranking factors. The end result was an overall rating for each provider, with the insurers that scored the most points topping the list.
Here are the factors our ratings take into account:
- Cost (30% of total score): Auto insurance rate estimates generated by Quadrant Information Services and discount opportunities were both taken into consideration.
- Coverage (30% of total score): Companies that offer a variety of choices for insurance coverage are more likely to meet consumer needs.
- Reputation (15% of total score): Our research team considered market share, ratings from industry experts and years in business when giving this score.
- Availability (10% of total score): Auto insurance companies with greater state availability and few eligibility requirements scored highest in this category.
- Customer Experience (15% of total score): This score is based on volume of complaints reported by the NAIC and customer satisfaction ratings reported by J.D. Power. We also considered the responsiveness, friendliness and helpfulness of each insurance company’s customer service team based on our own shopper analysis.
*Data accurate at time of publication.