Affiliate disclosure: Automoblog and its partners may be compensated when you purchase the products below.
Allstate Insurance Review
In Our Opinion:
Allstate is a smart choice for car insurance for its extensive coverage and long list of discounts. Additionally, it has plenty of local agents.
Works through a network of local agents to provide coverage
Superior financial strength rating from AM Best and A+ rating from the Better Business Bureau (BBB)
Mileage-based discount program
Mixed customer service reviews
In this Allstate insurance review, we’ll break down Allstate’s coverage, discounts, and customer reviews. Then, we’ll compare it to the providers that topped our list for the best auto insurance on the market to see how it matches up.
Allstate is one of the most well-known insurance companies in the country, but is Allstate auto insurance the best choice for you? Companies offer different rates to different individuals, so the best coverage and the best prices for your neighbor may not be the same for you. Anytime you shop for insurance, we recommend getting a few free quotes before making a decision on coverage.
Table of Contents show
As one of the biggest car insurance companies in the country, Allstate is available in all 50 states. In 2019 alone, Allstate wrote over $23 billion in premiums, according to the National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC).
The insurer has an A+ AM Best financial strength rating and an A+ from the Better Business Bureau (BBB). Allstate works through a network of local insuranceagents to provide auto insurance to policyholders. The main benefit of this is that local insurance agents can cater directly to the needs of specific communities.
|Allstate Pros||Allstate Cons|
|Easy claims process||Average customer reviews|
|A+ financial strength rating||Expensive compared to other top providers|
|Low number of complaints relative to company size||Relatively few discounts|
Allstate Insurance Cost
According to our rate estimates, good drivers find rates with Allstate around $2,249 per year. This is more expensive than the national average of $1,732, but our rate estimates don’t take discounts into account, so you could find a lower price if you bundle multiple cars or have good grades.
Below, you can see how Allstate compares to other leading car insurance companies. These estimates apply to full coverage insurance for 35-year-old drivers with good credit and driving records. You may find different rates if you are young, have points on your driving record, or have poor credit.
|Car Insurance Provider||Average Annual Cost Estimate|
|National Average Cost||$1,732|
The state where you live also dictates car insurance prices to a large degree. Different states have different insurance regulations, coverage requirements, population densities, weather patterns, and more. All of these affect the rate you pay.
Average Allstate Insurance Costs in Each State
Below is a comparison of Allstate’s average rates against each state’s average. You can see that Allstate is more expensive, for the most part.
|State||State Average Cost Estimate||Allstate Cost Estimate|
|District of Columbia||$1,787||$3,133|
|Massachusetts||$2,568||Data not available|
|North Dakota||$1,310||Data not available|
|South Dakota||$1,331||Data not available|
Allstate Insurance Discounts
Our team’s Allstate insurance review discovered that the provider has higher than average rates. However, the company offers many discounts that can greatly reduce an insurance premium, depending on which savings you qualify for. Here are the discounts you can get with Allstate insurance:
- New car discount:If you are the first owner of your car, you could be eligible for a discount.
- Multi-policy discount:Bundle your auto insurance with your Allstatehomeowners insurance or renters insurance to save money.
- Smart student discount:Full-time students with good grades can save on Allstate car insurance.
- Anti-lock brakesdiscount:Save on your carinsurance coverageif your car has anti-lock brakes.
- Anti-theft devicediscount:Save if your car has an anti-theft device.
- Early Signing Discount®:Sign up for your policy seven or more days before it comes effective and save on your auto insurance rates.
- Responsible payer discount:Save on your premiums if you paid on time for the past year.
- EZ pay plan discount:Save for setting up automatic withdrawals.
- Allstate eSmart® discount:Go paperless by signing up for an ePolicy, and your premium will be reduced.
- FullPay® discount:Pay your auto insurance policy in full to save money.
- ?Safe driving club discount:Drive safely to make it into Allstate’s safe driving club and receive a discount.
Along with discounts, you can save money on an Allstate auto policy by checking out the following programs and benefits:
- Accident forgiveness: This can be added onto your policy so your rates won’t go up after an accident.
- Safe Driving Bonus®: Receive a bonus for every six months of safe driving.
- Deductible Rewards: Get $100 off your collision deductible when you sign up and another $100 off your deductible each year you are accident-free (up to $500 total).
Like most leading car insurance companies, the Allstate Drivewise® safe driving app can help you lower car insurance rates by driving safely.
The free app, Allstate Mobile, provides you with personalized feedback on your driving habits. You can get cash back just for signing up for the program. Every six months, you have the potential to earn more savings as part of the Allstate Rewards® program.
The Allstate Mobile application has a3.1-star ratingon Google Play. Many positive Allstate insurance reviews highlight the app’s convenience, while negative reviews mention glitches and technical difficulties.
Allstate Insurance Coverage
Whether you’re looking to simply satisfy your state minimum insurance requirements or get full coverage for your vehicle, State Farm has all of the standard types of insurance available. These include:
- Bodily injury liability insurance: Covers medical expenses and related costs for others involved in an accident for which you are found at fault.
- Property damage liability insurance: Covers repair costs for vehicles and other property damaged in an accident you are found at fault for.
- Collision insurance: Covers damages to your vehicle and other personal property regardless of who is found at-fault in an accident.
- Comprehensive insurance: Covers damages to your vehicle from causes other than an accident, such as from vandalism, floods, inclement weather, and more.
- Medical payments (MedPay): Covers medical expenses for you and your passengers resulting from an accident.
- Personal injury protection (PIP): Similar to MedPay but covers lost wages in addition to medical expenses.
- Uninsured motoristand underinsured motorist insurance: Covers damages to your vehicle and other property if an at-fault driver doesn’t have sufficient insurance to cover repairs and other costs.
Allstate Additional Coverage Options
On top of the standard coverage options, you can get the following types of Allstate coverage and add-ons when you sign up for a carinsurance policy.
- Rental reimbursement:Rental car reimbursement helps you pay for transportation expenses such as a rental car or public transportation.
- Gap insuranceThis helps pay off your auto loan if your car is totaled or stolen.
- New car replacementIf your car is two model years old or less, Allstate will replace it after a covered accident.
- Towing and laborThis roadside assistance coverage includes towing, flat tire changes, jump-starts, lockout assistance, and gas or oil delivery.
- Rideshare insuranceIf you drive for Uber or Lyft, rideshare insurance can help cover you when you are waiting for passengers between rides.
- Sound system coverageThis coverage will replace stolen or damaged sound equipment.
- Classic car insuranceProtect your classic or collector vehicle with Allstate.
If you work from home, close to home, or otherwise just don’t drive much, you may benefit from Allstate’s Milewise® insurance coverage. This usage-based policy tracks your miles and charges you by the day and per mile for how much you drive. For people who don’t need to put many miles on their car each month, this could save a lot of money.
Allstate is one the many companies that offers a telematics program. Through the use of a mobile app, Drivewise monitors your driving habits and reports them back to Allstate. You can earn policy discounts or even cash back if you maintain safe driving habits.
This can be a great way to save money on your car insurance premiums, especially if your driving record isn’t perfect. But be careful. While safe driving habits can net you a lower premium, unsafe habits could make coverage even more expensive.
Other Allstate Insurance Products
In addition to auto insurance, Allstate offers the following types ofinsurance products:
- Home insurance
- Renters insurance
- Condo insurance
- Motorcycle insurance
- Business insurance
- Life insurance
- Umbrella coverage
How to File a Claim
Several Allstate insurance reviews mention an easy online claims process that includes instructions for how to proceed after an automobile accident. The website allows you to track insurance claims and make payments. Alternatively, you can use the Allstate mobile app to manage claims or get in touch with your insurance adjuster.
Allstate is unique in that it offers a Claims Satisfaction Guarantee. If you are not satisfied with the resolution of your claim, you can get your money back. This benefit comes with all Allstate policies.
It’s worth noting that in the J.D. Power 2021 U.S. Auto Claims Satisfaction StudySM, the company scored an 870 out of 1,000 possible points. That score places it below the national average for providers in the study.
How long does it take Allstate to settle a claim?
While the time it takes to settle a claim varies depending on the parties involved, Allstate offers several options for getting paid after the claim is settled. You can choose from options like eCheck, direct deposit, or a physical check, with payment times ranging from 24 hours to 7-10 days depending on the method.
Allstate Insurance Reviews
Allstate is a well-established player in the insurance industry. The Better Business Bureau (BBB) gave Allstate an A+ rating, although the insurance provider is not currently accredited by the organization. Allstate currently holds an A financial strength rating from AM Best.
The company has closed more than 600 complaints through the BBB in the past year, and it has a 1.1-star rating from customers based on more than 300 Allstate insurance reviews. Keep in mind that customers are more likely to leave negative reviews than positive ones when it comes to car insurance companies, especially during the stressful claims process.
Positive Allstate Insurance Reviews
In many of the positive Allstate insurance reviews we read, customers praised the company’s customer service.
“We have had a total of three accidents in 20 years, and each incident was handled smoothly and within 24 hours. The representatives have always been patient, attentive, and accurate with [the] information provided to settle each case.”
– Christy P., BBB
“Been with this company over 13 years. They have always been extremely helpful! Car wreck, no problems, taken care of so very well.”
– Christina M., BBB
Negative Allstate Auto Insurance Reviews
Issues with the claims process and communication problems were some of the more common complaints in the negative Allstate auto insurance reviews we read.
“Too hard to get [the] claim processed. [Can’t] use the printout straight from appointment at the doctor’s office or insurance form sent after service. Constantly having to send more forms. Takes forever to get paid on anything. Worst insurance I have ever dealt with!”
– Connie Q., BBB
“I called in January 2020 to have one car removed and homeowners changed to renters insurance. I was told that the entire old policy would need to be canceled, and a new one with my current needs would be made. That was fine. However, for the next [two] months, I was charged double because the [original] policy had not been canceled properly.”
– Lee, BBB
Our Verdict on Allstate Insurance: 90%
We rated Allstate at 90% because of its availability and excellent industry standing. Allstate auto insurance coverage is comprehensive, although it can be expensive compared to insurance from other top providers. If you qualify for discounts, you can find great coverage with Allstate.
Allstate promises that “you’re in good hands” with them as your insurer, and while their prices are not always the cheapest, we tend to agree with the company on their coverage and service. We recommend reaching out to Allstate and a few other providers for car insurance quotes so you can compare policies and prices side by side.
Top Picks for Car Insurance
In addition to Allstate auto insurance, our team has done the research on other top insurance providers. Two of the insurance companies that we highly recommend are GEICO and State Farm.
GEICO: Best Overall
Our team rated GEICO at 96 percent and found that it is the best choice for most drivers. GEICO has an outstanding customer service reputation and high ratings from industry experts, including an A++ financial strength rating from AM Best and an A+ from the BBB.
GEICO is known for its affordable coverage. You can bundle multiple types of insurance, such as auto and homeowners, and save on both. Read our full GEICO auto insurance review to learn more.
State Farm: Best for Student Drivers
Our team rated State Farm at 95 percent because of its long list of discounts and strong online experience. State Farm has an A- rating from the BBB, a 4.7-star rating on Google Play, and an A++ financial strength rating from AM Best.
State Farm’s Drive Safe & Save™ program can save you money if you are a safe driver, and the Steer Clear® program is designed particularly for young drivers. For more information about coverage, read our full review of State Farm auto insurance.
FAQ: Allstate Insurance
Is Allstate a good insurance company?
Allstate is one of the top insurance companies in the country because of its strong industry standing and availability. It offers coverage in all 50 states through a network of local agents. There are many discounts available and an Allstate mobile app that makes filing claims simple.
Does Allstate have 24-hour customer service?
Yes, Allstate has 24-hour customer service. You can call 1-800-ALLSTATE for assistance with billing, claims service, and managing policy documents. Allstate Mobile allows customers to manage their policies anywhere at any time.
How do I know if I have Allstate coverage?
You can find out about Allstate coverage by logging into your account and clicking on the My Account button to view your profile. You can also download Allstate Mobile on your phone or tablet to view policy documents at any time.
What is the Allstate claims customer service number?
You can call 1-800-255-7828 (1-800-ALLSTATE) to check in on the status of your claim or to voice a complaint. This number provides 24/7 customer support to Allstate policyholders.
Our expert review team takes satisfaction in providing accurate and unbiased information. We identified the following rating categories based on consumer survey data and conducted extensive research to formulate rankings of the best car insurance providers.
- Affordability: A variety of factors influence cost, so it can be difficult to compare quotes between providers. Our team considers auto insurance rate estimates generated by Quadrant Information Services and discount opportunities when giving this score.
- Coverage: Because each consumer has unique needs, it’s essential that a car insurance company offers an array of coverage options. We take into account types of insurance available, maximum coverage limits, and add-on policies.
- Industry Standing: Our team considers Better Business Bureau (BBB) ratings, financial strength, and years in business when giving this score.
- Availability: Auto insurers with greater state availability and few eligibility requirements are more likely to meet consumer needs.
- Customer Service: Reputable car insurance providers operate with a certain degree of care for consumers. We consider complaints filed with the National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC), J.D. Power claims servicing scores, and customer feedback.
- Online Experience: Insurers with easy-to-use websites and highly rated mobile apps scored best in this category.